Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-2 charged with murder following death of 1-year-old at day care -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-2 charged with murder following death of 1-year-old at day care
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:26:17
Two people have Will Sage Astorbeen hit with multiple charges after a 1-year-old boy died and three other young children were hospitalized after suspected opioid exposure at a Bronx, New York, day care on Friday.
Drug production equipment was also found inside the day care following the death Nicholas Dominici and the hospitalization of three other young children, according to the New York City Police Department.
Carlisto Acevedo Brito, 41, and 36-year-old Grei Mendez, now face 11 charges, including murder, manslaughter and assault.
A kilo press was discovered by police executing a search warrant inside 2707 Morris Avenue following Nicholas' death, police said
"This is an item that is commonly used by drug dealers when packaging large quantities of drugs," NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny said during a news conference.
It is unknown what type of drugs were potentially being manufactured or how the children came into contact with them. New York City Mayor Eric Adams would only say the four children "appear to have come into contact with an opioid."
"We don't know exactly what happened to those babies," Police Commissioner Edward Caban said.
New York City Health Commissioner Ashwin Vasan said the victims somehow came in contact "with a powerful substance, which can, through either inhalation, ingestion, or in touching of the skin, intoxicate the recipient. We don't know what happened in this case."
The Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause of death, and doctors will take urine and blood from the surviving children to try to figure out what drugs they were exposed to.
MORE: 1-year-old dies of suspected opioid exposure at NYC day care, 3 others hospitalized: Police
The day care, for children between 6 weeks and 12 years old, recently opened in January and just passed a surprise visit from city inspectors last week with no violations found, officials said.
Investigators said the children appear to have been exposed to the unknown opioids over an extended period on Friday. A 2-year-old boy who went home at around 12:15 p.m. was later found by his mother to be "acting lethargic and unresponsive." The mother rushed him to the hospital, where the opioid-reversal medication Narcan saved his life, authorities said.
The children who stayed at the day care ate something at around 1 p.m. and took a nap. When workers went to wake them up at 2:30 p.m., three were unconscious, police said.
MORE: Overdose reversal drug Narcan will be available to buy over-the-counter starting in September
"All three children were unresponsive and demonstrating symptoms of opioid exposure. Narcan was administered to all three of these children in an attempt to save their lives." Kenny said. "Two children survived. Unfortunately, one male, 2 years old passed away at Montefiore Hospital at 3:29 p.m."
All the children who were hospitalized live nearby in the Bronx. None are related, authorities said.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- The Army is launching a sweeping overhaul of its recruiting to reverse enlistment shortfalls
- Court reviews gun-carry restrictions under health order in New Mexico, as states explore options
- Suspect arrested in Tupac Shakur's 1996 killing: A timeline of rapper's death, investigation
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Suspect arrested in Tupac Shakur's 1996 killing: A timeline of rapper's death, investigation
- When is the next Powerball drawing? Jackpot soars over $1 billion, game's fourth-largest ever
- Celebrate October 3 With These 15 Secrets About Mean Girls
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Remote jobs gave people with disabilities more opportunities. In-office mandates take them away.
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Jimmy Butler has a new look, and even the Miami Heat were surprised by it
- Giants' season is already spiraling out of control after latest embarrassment in prime time
- Feds expand probe into 2021-2022 Ford SUVs after hundreds of complaints of engine failure
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- More big strikes loom, with thousands of health care and casino workers set to walk off the job
- Atlanta will pay $3.75M to family of Nebraska man who died after being handcuffed and held face down
- EU demands answers from Poland about visa fraud allegations
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
NBA Star Jimmy Butler Debuts Emo Look in Must-See Hair Transformation
Jimmy Butler has a new look, and even the Miami Heat were surprised by it
UN envoy calls for a ‘unified mechanism’ to lead reconstruction of Libya’s flood-wrecked city
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Missing California swimmer reportedly attacked by shark, say officials
Trump turns his fraud trial into a campaign stop as he seeks to capitalize on his legal woes
Fulton County D.A. subpoenas Bernie Kerik as government witness in Trump election interference case